This viewer is dated Dec 4 2013 04:55:18 (Second Life Release) in Help->About… But, it just updated on my machine today as a required update. Meaning I needed to install it before logging in. I still find that annoying.
But, the release notes for Second Life Release Viewer version 126.96.36.1994757 just popped up on the wiki. So I expect to see another update soon.
Changes in 3.6.13 are:
- more viewer-side control of which objects are loaded in memory at any given time
- more aggressive scene caching – viewer stores whole region in cache, not just the parts in view when you log out
- faster scene load when visiting a region you’ve never been to before
- viewer does not load object from cache that are completely hidden by scene geometry
- expanded performance metrics
I think I’ve been writing about all these features over the last few weeks. These appears to be mostly the changes and additions from the Interesting RC Viewer. They make for a much nicer user experience. Areas render much faster. The caching changes reduce the bandwidth demand.
Also repaired in this version 3.6.13 are:
- BUG-4675[c] Viewer crashes while reading chat history
- SH-4606[c] Interesting: Small objects do not load until they are very close.
- SH-4627[c] [INTERESTING RC] “Object out of range” is not detected on teleport.
- SH-4631[c] [INTERESTING RC] Parts of linked objects are not shown in new release Second Life 3.6.11
- SH-4641[c] Interesting: Incorrect amount of system memory detected on Mac
There are still some known problems:
- MAINT-809[c] [PUBLIC] Setting 16x anti-aliasing crashes Viewer in Ubuntu 11.10 with GeForce 6600
- MAINT-3200[c] WL Haze effects are inconsistent between solid and transparent objects under water.
- MAINT-3197[c] Rigged alpha attachments don’t render for impostors.
- MAINT-3198[c] Legacy bumpiness renders funny on HUD faces with custom alpha mode
- MAINT-3213[c] Brightness and Darkness legacy bump maps render incorrectly on Intel GPUs.
- MAINT-3135[c] Cocoa Viewer: Mac: Maximizing the viewer leaves garbage on the screen
- WEB-4659[c] Direct Delivery Outbox fails in Linux build
- STORM-1971[c] MAC viewer – Renaming an object or clothing item in inventory results in automatic wearing
I was using the Interesting RC Viewer, which has most of these changes and fixes in 3.6.13. I switched to the Fitted Mesh Project Viewer and have been missing the faster render.