I have seen a couple of posts in the SL Forum about the Metanomics translator giving a script error and not translating. I decided to try mine.
I don’t get an error with my copy of the Metanomics translator. I get a bunch of garbage in the chat window. It is definitely having a problem with the Second Life 3.7.27 (300424) viewer.
I have recently been writing about translators in Second Life:
If this is a fatal break, we are screwed. See BUG-8794* – The Bing API used by the viewer is depreciated. The same is true for Google’s translation API. It has changed and the viewer no longer works with it. It hasn’t since May 2012. But, old API keys already setup continued to work. If you have run into the problem, click over to the JIRA and add your information.
Note I said INFORMATION. Don’t post ‘me too’. If you are doing a ‘me too’ then click Watch.
It is spring and I’ve seen where Google is doing another housekeeping sweep and closing little used services. They do that every so often. That may be what is causing the Metanomics failure.
*Due to a bug in the SL JIRA and Forum login process you may have to log into the JIRA before this link will work.
UPDATE: I’ve had one user of IOL Q-Translator 57 Languages tell me it is also not working. I can’t confirm that. 2nd Update: Another user advises me Q-Translator is working (4/10). Reviews dated April 2015 say it has to be reset every few minutes. I have not tried it.
UPDATE: MH Translator L$395 (English), this still seems to work. I can confirm the demo in in the in-world shop works. It comes in versions. Apparently the versions only have to do with the User Interface language. Demo here. (SLURL) 2nd Update: This one has had no reviews since Dec 2014, which said it didn’t work. I tested it 4/8/15 and the demo worked.
3rd Update: A new free translator is out by Hinaichigo Xaris. You can find it in the marketplace here. I have a copy. It has no UI. It uses chat commands to change language. Plus you have to know the Google language codes to set a language. But, it does have auto-detect. It weights 1-script @ 70k. The script is no copy, no mod, so I can’t see what it is doing. Since there is no user ID code, I expect this translator to fail at some point. But, for now it seems to work.