The main Second Life™ Viewer is now release 3.6.13-284995. Release Notes. This the RC Viewer known as the Package Fix RC Viewer. The primary change in the update is described in the Notes as:
The 3.6.12 release [previous release] changed the Windows executable name from ‘SecondLife’ to ‘SecondLifeViewer’, but did not remove any executable using the old name that was in the install folder. This could cause some problems with old shortcuts (not including the default one updated by the install) running the previous version (which might then insist on being upgraded, but the upgrade would not correct the old shortcut).
This (and any subsequent) release removes any executable in that install folder that uses the old name; using those shortcuts will now cause Windows to display an error message that the program is not there, so the user will need to modify or replace them with one that refers to the new name.
The folder and executable name changes meant that some people were experiencing a continual update loop. They would update automatically placing the new version in the new and differently named folder, the viewer would restart and work. The new version was being run. At the next login the viewer would tell them they needed to update, it would update, and run. But, each viewer start would require another update.
This was caused by the folder and executable file name changes and the user’s shortcut/icon used to start the viewer. The shortcut/icon was not being updated. Thus it started the old version of the viewer which needed an update and so the loop.
This version resolves that. You may find that clicking your usual icon to start SL produces an error after this version installs. That just means you need to delete/unpin that icon. Navigate via START to the SL Viewer program and copy or pin that new icon to wherever you need it.
There are known Issues with this viewer:
- MAINT-809[c] [PUBLIC]Setting 16x anti-aliasing crashes Viewer in Ubuntu 11.10 with GeForce 6600
- MAINT-3200[c] WL Haze effects are inconsistent between solid and transparent objects under water.
- MAINT-3197[c] Rigged alpha attachments don’t render for impostors.
- MAINT-3198[c] Legacy bumpiness renders funny on HUD faces with custom alpha mode
- MAINT-3213[c] Brightness and Darkness legacy bump maps render incorrectly on Intel GPUs.
- MAINT-3135[c] Cocoa Viewer: Mac: Maximizing the viewer leaves garbage on the screen
- WEB-4659[c] Direct Delivery Outbox fails in Linux build
- STORM-1971[c] MAC viewer – Renaming an object or clothing item in inventory results in automatic wearing