Seems there is a big GOTCHA coming. COF is Current Outfit Folder. It is used by the SSA – Server side Appearance, a service that bakes your avatar appearance. This should end bake fail, blurry avatars.
The COF has been around for a while (early 2012). Long enough for us to know it is often at the heart of inventory problems. What some have not realized is that the folder is also at the heart of login problems. If the COF gets corrupted you often cannot login. You’ll have little clue as to why.
The only clues that it is COF corruption that is crashing you is:
- Only one account is affected
- They will crash or timeout disconnect at login, usually around “Downloading clothing…”
- They will likely crash/disconnect on any V3 based viewer or a viewer that uses COF
- Clean install, cache clear, replacing outfit on a non-COF viewer will not fix them
The crash logs will contain errors:
- INFO: newview/llappearancemgr.cpp(1998) : LLAppearanceMgr::updateAppearanceFromCOF: starting.
- WARNING: newview/llappearancemgr.cpp(2891) : WearablesOrderComparator::operator(): Warning # 0: either item1 or item2 is NULL
Presently there is a work-around to fix the problem. Actually there are a couple of fixes.
If you are a premium account holder the Lab will clean up the corruption. They have inventory clean up scripts that I think Andrew Linden made for them. But, if you are not a Premium member then… we don’t know if they will help. It will certainly take longer to get help from them. Also, there is some question as to whether the scripts will work after the SSA rollout. A JIRA thread shows that some accounts could not be fixed by the repair scripts. Scary.
I think the scripts referred to are not the ones Andrew made. But, I can’t be sure.
The current user fix is:
- Get and old viewer that does not use a COF – Like Imprudence.
- Login using the old viewer on the problem account.
- Replace your outfit. You must change every item the avatar wears. If you have even a single item on that is in the COF, this is not going to work. Standard Avatars are OK. May be try a robot avatar or car.
- Logout of SL.
- Get a viewer that uses VerifyInitialWearables, which can be found in the Debug Settings. Firestorm and Catznip have the feature.
- Start the viewer but do not login.
- Enable the Advanced (Ctrl-Alt-D) and Developer (Ctrl-Alt-A) menus, and go to Debug Settings.
- Set VerifyInitialWearables to TRUE.
- Login with the viewer.
The concern is that the VerifyInitialWearables communicated by the viewer to the server will change with the rollout of SSA. The SSA server in beta test ignores the call. So, a screwed account stays screwed until the Lab helps out.
To see the history of this see SVC-7653 – “LL inventory repair tools broken; avatars can be permanently disabled by previously fixable inventory folder glitches.” CHOP -839 *AngusGraham Ceawlin. I can’t tell if this is an open are close part of the JIRA system.
An alternate pathway is to purchase a Premium account and request a fix.
There are reports of the use of special characters in folder names and in item names breaking inventory. These are extended characters like; ö, ♀, and Y.
These are things that are disturbing. We have various rumors of things that can go wrong with the coming SSA rollout. We can test some of the things in ADITI/Preview Grid. But, no one wants to corrupt their inventory to do a test. So, we don’t know how much is or isn’t going to work.
But as a preventative, make sure you have a viewer that does not use COF. That will give you a way into SL while you try to get things fixed, should your COF get corrupted.
Fortunately this is a rare problem. But, while rare it is happening too frequently.