There is some consternation about a Windows 10 update: Creators Update. It is a free Win 10 update. My headline is hype. Nobody seems to know how it will work with Second LifeTM. However, the new features are a combination of interesting and OMG more advertising built into Windows.
Whatever, the new features are:
- 3D in Windows 10
- Built-in game broadcasting
- New tab management in the sucky MS Edge and more…
- Microsoft Edge is faster
- Tab preview bar
- Set tabs aside
- Jump List
- More extensions
- Enhanced security features – MS Privacy Dashboard
- Paint 3D
- Remix3D.com access
- Game streaming with Beam
- Gaming settings: Game bar, GameDVR, broadcasting, and Game Mode
- Improved Windows Store – They added e-books, whoop whoop
- Dolby Atmos – Adds Dolby audio via an app
- Cortana can do more… like control music by mood.
- Language compatibility for iHeartRadio and TuneIn
- Music recognition support for the Chinese
- Full screen Cortana when computer idle
- Carry sessions across devices
- Mixed Reality in Photo, Maps, Music, Movies, & TV
- Mini View Feature
- …and more.
So, how is it going to work with SL? No one in the forums is writing about their experience. May be everyone is waiting for someone else to go first. In general we are currently clueless.
I plan to install it on my laptop first. It runs SL at medium settings and produces 10 to 20 FPS. I want to see if adding Win 10 Creators Update with a “Gaming Mode” improves its performance. For now I will avoid the update on my main machine.
I’ll get back to you.