Update: The viewer has been released as 4.4.0 (33720) today about 3 PM SLT or PDT. Download: Firestorm Major Update.
I’ve been hearing rumors that a new release of the Firestorm Viewer is imminent. Some expected it Sunday. Some are saying today. We will have to wait and see when it releases. I expect it soon, like today. But, that could be wishful thinking on several people’s part.
But, we do not have to wait to see what is in this release. As part of a release the development team builds release notes. The team tries to do things professionally and have everything ready for users, including the viewer’s release notes. It usually is not too hard to find those once one knows a release is imminent.
I found what looks to be the notes that will go with this release. You can find them here: Firestorm Release Notes 4.4.0 (33720) Server Side Appearance Capable Release. While I’ve added the highlights the release notes have the menu paths to some of the new features and occasionally the Debug Settings names you need to enable some of them.
- Fix for seams in high res snapshots when lighting and shadows is enabled – LL
- Better looking shadows at high altitudes – LL
- Estate access lists for groups and residents will now display when “Allow public access” is checked – LL
- Top scripts in estate tools now allows per-parcel filtering – LL
- Many translation fixes and improvements – LL
- Merge up to 3.4.5 codebase plus server side appearance support – Tankmaster Finesmith
- RLVa improvements and fixes – merge up to RLVa v1.4.8a – Kitty Barnett, Trinity Dejavu
- Translation updates and improvements – Ansariel Hiller (German), PanteraPolnocy (Polish)
- Many custom skin improvements – Hitomi Tiponi (Starlight and Starlight CUI), Ansariel Hiller (AnsaStorm)
- New “Creepy Pyri” Windlight sky setting by LDPW – World → Environment Editor → Environment Settings → Fixed Sky – Whirly Fizzle
- Chiclets are now optional!
- Added an option for incoming IM sound alerts on all messages received while the IM session is not in focus. – Wolf Loonie
- Notification toast default life changed from 9 to 60 seconds by request – PanteraPolnocy
- Many improvements to the Phoenix-style legacy search – Cinder Roxley
- Added the option to choose Search window behavior on teleport – Cinder Roxley
- Added an optional standalone agent location floater – Ansariel Hiller
- Legacy profile pick locations now allow copying and scrolling of text – Ansariel Hiller
- Added a copy SLURL option to the places overflow menu – World → Location Profile → Show additional options – Ansariel Hiller
- Added the ability to change the object deletion sound – Preferences → Sound & Media → UI Sounds 1 → Object Deletion – PanteraPolnocy
- Added a profile button to the mute/block list – Comm → Block List → Click on a blocked resident’s name → Profile button – Ansariel Hiller
- Blocklist now allows bulk removal of mutes – Ansariel Hiller
- Double clicking a residents name in block list now opens their profile – Ansariel Hiller
- GPU table updates – (This means the viewer will better handle graphics card identification and choose better default settings.) – Tankmaster Finesmith
- Standalone group profile improvements – Ansariel Hiller
- Bridge-assisted teleports are now more accurate – Ansariel Hiller
- Many MANY crash fixes 0 – Nicky Dasmijn, Ansariel Hiller
- No more crashing when editing attachments or rezzed objects while wearing mesh! – Nicky Dasmijn, Shyotl Kuhr and Linden Lab
- Performance no longer drops when mouse cursor is over the world view – Nicky Dasmijn
There are about 44 known issues that remain.
I think it is obvious a huge amount of work has gone into this release. So, while Server Side Appearance takes up one line in the list, it has taken considerable effort and manpower. If you are a Firestorm user, tell your FS Dev’s thanks when you see them.