I saw Strawberry’s mime for Monday. I suspect I know how many of us will answer the questions. But, it is fun to get feedback.
You can find Strawberry’s article here: Questions about Linden Lab TOS.
Polls after the fold.
Do you usually read the TOS thoroughly before you hit accept?
- Never (34%, 24 Votes)
- Some times (29%, 20 Votes)
- Only after I learn of a problem (29%, 20 Votes)
- Always (9%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 70
How do you feel about the new LL TOS changes of August 15th (section 2.3) ?
- The changes are bad for users. (73%, 48 Votes)
- The changes are neutral (26%, 17 Votes)
- The changes are good for users. (2%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 66
When Strawberry asked do the changes affect you directly, I think ‘directly’ confused the question. She answered by explaining her answer. So, I change the question a bit. Hopefully it is less ambiguous, just don’t over think it.
Does the change affect you?
- It will in indirect ways (27%, 18 Votes)
- No (21%, 14 Votes)
- Yes (15%, 10 Votes)
- Definitely - It affects my business (13%, 9 Votes)
- I think it could (12%, 8 Votes)
- Drastically, Yes. I am planning on leaving SL (7%, 5 Votes)
- Not sure (4%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 67
Strawberry’s 4th question requires an essay type answer. I suggest you comment in either her or my blog comments. Question: What do you think people should do about this new change?
I provided links to groups providing legal information and attempting to organize residents on the last page of my most recent ToS article: Second Life TOS Update 2013-42. So, you have some idea about what I think we can do.
The fifth question is a bit too complex for a poll. I also think most of us have thought of leaving SL at one time or another. So, that would not tell us much in regard to the ToS change. So, I’ve changed that a bit.
Are you thinking about leaving Second Life?
- No, I am leaving stuff I made in SL (74%, 46 Votes)
- May be (16%, 10 Votes)
- Yes, I'm removing things I made now (5%, 3 Votes)
- No, but I am removing things I made (5%, 3 Votes)
- May be, I am removing things I made (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 62
Next I’ve added a question of my own.
Are you going to help try to get LL to change the ToS?
- Probably a little (44%, 27 Votes)
- No, not that important (29%, 18 Votes)
- Yes, I'll be joining groups and being active (27%, 17 Votes)
Total Voters: 62
I came to SL from Myst Online. The Uru virtual world had closed twice and it did not seem it was coming back. It did. But, it is a nearly dead world, especially when compared to SL. So, I’ve experienced a world closing. It is sad. But, I’ve never committed my self to SL as I did with Uru, but I am also a bit older. We lose boy or girl friends and suffer other loses and learn to be careful with the attachments we form.
So, I have always had a foot in other virtual worlds. I will be refreshing my accounts in OSGrid and rebuilding my OSGrid server. I watch In-Worldz, Kitely, and other possible worlds that may be my next home if SL shrinks.
But, SL has people. This weekend they went over 60k concurrent users for the first time in several months. They have customers. All the other worlds put together don’t come close to the same level of concurrent logins. Until that changes, SL rules and I’ll be around.
What are you thinking?