In the USA we are having ridiculously cold weather across the eastern two-thirds of the country, north to south. On the west coast side I have the windows open and the fan on. But, only on local stations are you hearing about how extensive and record breaking the cold is. Drudge Report has more of the ‘collected’ headlines today and those stories lead to more stories:
- Weekend Snow, Ice to Threaten an 1,800-Mile Corridor From Central to Eastern US
- Unseasonable Warmth in West to Fade by Next Week
- Minus 32: Arctic Cold Sets Records in Kentucky
- Why Is It So Cold In Embarrass? (-41F – )
- Winter Grip Tightens With ‘Life-Threatening’ Cold, More Snow – Chicago to Raleigh
- South Florida May Be In For Record-Breaking Lows – In Florida this means below +40F
- Washington, D.C. Weather Forecast: Possibly coldest spate in two decadesBitter cold causes cracked rails, more major delays on Metro, Amtrak, VRE
- Arctic outbreak shatters records in eastern US, coldest yet to come
Weather vs Climate
The above is about weather. For those looking into the science of climate change the most disturbing news this year came from an investigative journalist Christopher Booker published in the UK’s The Telegraph. Worse yet comes news of preliminary research into Canadian and US temperature data showing it is systematically being fudged.
For a summary of the investigations see: Record keepers cooked global temperature books.