SL Share is the feature name the Lab uses for their sharing feature. You probably remember that Facebook sharing was blocked for a time. Facebook advised the Lab on what had to change for the feature to be unblocked. The Lab made those changes. Now Facebook sharing is back.
While the Lab was making changes they added the ability to share with Flickr and Twitter. Torley Linden made a video tutorial that posted with announcement about the newly enhanced SL Share.
To use these new features you need to download and install the Project SL Share2 Viewer version 184.108.40.2068424.
There are some known problems with this viewer:
- MAINT-809 [PUBLIC]Setting 16x antialiasing crashes Viewer in Ubuntu 11.10 with GeForce 6600
- MAINT-3200 WL Haze effects are inconsistent between solid and transparent objects under water.
- MAINT-3197 Rigged alpha attachments don’t render for impostors.
- MAINT-3198 Legacy bumpiness renders funny on HUD faces with custom alpha mode
- MAINT-3213 Brightness and Darkness legacy bump maps render incorrectly on Intel GPUs.
- WEB-4659 Direct Delivery Outbox fails in Linux build
- MAINT-3135 Cocoa Viewer: Mac: Maximizing the viewer leaves garbage on the screen
I expect this project viewer to jump to an RC slot as soon as one becomes available. These features will likely make it to the main release viewer pretty quickly.
Installing Second Life Project Viewers
Project viewers install in a separate folder. So, you can have the main release, third party viewers, and other SL Project viewers installed. Just download and install.
The SL Project viewers will use the default settings for cache and chat logs. Make sure you have all your SL viewers using the same cache size. (Top menu: Me->Preferences->Advanced (tab)) If you use different sizes all have to work a bit harder as one is working to reduce cache size and another is working to re‑download stuff it already had.
I haven’t been installing and removing Project Viewers lately. So, I’m not sure how good a job the uninstall does. I backup my chat logs before removing any viewer.